Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Catcher in the Rye: Conformist versus "Phony"


TUESDAY, JANUARY 15, 2013

Essential Question: What is the difference between conforming and being a “phony?”

Do Now: Respond in a 5-minute quick write about today’s essential question with reference to Holden Caulfield.

Yesterday, you explored the definitions of the words conformist, phony, and outcast. Today we’ll apply our knowledge of those terms ( and the challenge of defining the intersection of the definitions ) to a reading of Holden Caulfield.

We’ll use performance to look more closely at Holden’s meeting with Mr. Spencer. In groups of three, students will perform very short skits, each a part of the meeting. At the end of each skit, the class will reach a consensus: was Holden a phony, or a conformist.

10-minutes in your group

Holden 
Mr.Spencer
Holden’s Thoughts

Rewrite applicable non-dialogue portions of your excerpt so that it can be used as their script. Discuss how you will stage your mini performance.

Group 1 (page 8)
          [ Mr. Spencer: ] “What ‘d he say to you?
          “Oh...well, about life being a game and all. And how you should play it according to the rules. He was pretty nice about it. I mean he didn’t hit the ceiling or anything. He just kept talking about Life being a game and all. You know.”
          “Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.”
          “Yes sir, I know it is. I know it.”
          Game, my ass. Some game. If you get on the side where all the hot-shots are, then it’s a game, all right-I’ll admit that. But if you get on the other side, where there aren’t any hot-shots, then what’s the game about it? Nothing. No game.

Group 2 (page 9)
          Then he said, “I had the privilege of meeting your mother and dad when they had their little chat with Dr. Thurmer some weeks ago. They’re grand people.” 
          “Yes, they are. They’re very nice.”
         Grand. There’s a word I really hate. It’s a phony. I could puke every time I hear it.

Group 3 (page 10)
           “I flunked you in history because you knew absolutely nothing.”
           “I know that, sir. boy, I know it. You couldn’t help it.”
           “Absolutely nothing,” he said over again. That’s something that drives me crazy. When people say something twice that way, after you admit it the first time. Then he said it three times. “But absolutely nothing. I doubt very much if you opened your text book even once the whole term. Did you? Tell the truth, boy.”
“Well, I sort of glanced through it a couple of times,” I told him. I didn’t want to hurt his feelings. He was mad about history. 

Group 4 (page 12)

“Do you blame me for flunking you, boy?” he said.
“No, sir! I certainly don’t, “ I said. I wished to hell he’d stop calling me “boy all the time. [...]
“What would you have done in my place?” He said. “Tell the truth, boy.”
[...] I shot the bull for awhile. I told him i was a real moron, and all that stuff. i told him how I would’ve done exactly the same thing if I’d been in his place, and how most people didn’t appreciate how tough it is being a teacher. [...]
The funny thing is, though, i was sort of thinking about something else while I shot the bull. I live in New york and was thinking about the lagoon in Central Park, down near central Park South. I was wondering if I would be frozen over when I got home, and if it was, where did the dicks go? I was wondering where the ducks went when the lagoon got all icy and frozen over. I wondered if some guy came in a truck and took them away to a zoo or something. Or if they just flew away.

Group 5 (page 13)

I’m lucky though. i mean I could shoot the old bull to old Spencer and think about those ducks at the same time. It’s funny. You don’t have to think too hard when you talk toi a teacher. All of a sudden, though, he interrupted me while I was shooting the bull. He was always interrupting me.

“How do you feel about all this, boy? I’d be very interested to know. Very interested.” 
“You mean about my flunking out of Pencey and all?” I said. I sort of wished he’s cover up his bumpy chest. It wasn’t such a beautiful view.  

Homework: Continue reading the novel to page 53. We will begin Springboard Unit 2 tomorrow; we'll be unpacking the unit.

5th Period


Unit 1 Embedded Assessment #2: Creating an Ad Campaign for a Novel



Essential Question: What skill or knowledge is reflected in your two media genre projects? 


Do Now:  

Get into your groups. Make sure you and your group have your print ad---poster in hand. In your group, on paper, create a short introduction that one of your group members will read to the whole group before showing your ad presentation and your poster.

You will bring your laptop up to the teacher’s desk and run your ad presentation (video/slide show) off the cable for the LED projector.

The introduction to your group work should answer the following” 

1. Who is in your group? “I group consisted of....”

2. What images, quotes or paraphrases were drawn from the novel Of Mice and Men by your group and put into our projects, ...in your ad presentation, ...on your poster? Why?

  1. What is your slogan? Explain its meaning.

  1. Explain the challenges of this project for your group. “For example, working in a group...working with the computer...etc.”

While each group presents the rest of us will do the following peer evaluation on a piece of loose leaf:

PEER EVALUATION FEEDBACK FORM ( Write your responses on the loose-leaf provided; make sure you indicate each group number and each question number). 

A 1-5 scale for these questions is used; 5 is the best and 1 is the lowest score and means doesn’t meet the requirement. 

Respond to each group with the same questions.

Group 1, 2, 3, 4... 

  1. Presenter(s’) names:

  1. The group has provided information about the book that appeals and could stimulate curiosity among prospective buyers/readers?
1 2 3 4 5

  1. The group has used advertising techniques that motivate an audience to buy the book?
1 2 3 4 5

Which advertising techniques?

  1. The group has used rhetorical appeals to persuade me to read the book?


Homework:

Stargirl, Read to page 35


           

No comments:

Post a Comment